Sunday, January 29, 2012

Reflections: Part 1

Recently, some one asked on the Class of 2016 Facebook page why students choose Saint Michael's.  I posted a link to my original post on this.  I also wrote to her about how helpful a pro/con list was for me.  Looking at that original post got me thinking.  It was so interesting to see what I first thought of this school before actually coming here.  I decided with this post to go back and comment on my original list!

Here is my original list
The first thing you will notice about the list is the paper it was written on. I was staying with my mom in the Double Tree hotel in Massachusetts for a softball tournament.  I was freaking out (a common occurrence during this stage in my life) about college and where I wanted to go.  The pro/con list was my mom's idea, she is the one who actually started writing it while I was talking to her.

Here is how I am going to do this, I am going to write my original comment in bold and then my reflection after it...


  • Good education - this is very valid and very true.  I am getting a great education at Saint Mike's.  My classes are interesting and vigorous.  All of my professors truly care about my success.  Even though all of us here at Saint Mike's are held to a high standard in the classroom, we still like to have fun!   
  • Pretty campus - It is amazing, I thought the campus was pretty even before seeing it in all is glory.  I did visit, but I couldn't see the whole campus in my visits.  The campus is even more beautiful than I originally thought.  It is gorgeous here!
  • Interesting classes - very true still, when I visited, I went to class with my host and I remember being very intrigued. All of my classes here at SMC have taught me and engaged me.
  • Good looking guys -  Yup, the guys here are pretty cute.  I think this one was my mom trying to get me to pick SMC and to lighten up the mood.
  • Lake Champlain - I could go to Burlington and stare at the lake all day, and I have!  The lake was a big draw for me because I love water. 
  • Burlington -  Burlington is the coolest little city!  I actually go into Burlington alot more than I originally thought I would. The CCTA is easy and Burlington is close.  I don't want to discount Winooski though, we are making it a goal to visit Winooski more this semester.
  • Skiing - I love to ski, just last Sunday I took advantage of the Smuggs pass and went skiing with my friend McKenzie.  Smuggs is AMAZING!!
  • Wilderness Program - Confession: I haven't done anything with the wilderness program yet, but I plan on it!! I like knowing that it is there and one day I will definitely take advantage of the program.  
  • MOVE - I did do one MOVE project.  I went to the Lund Family Center.  I am going to continue to try and find time to do more MOVE things.  
  • Socials - I remember being intrigued that the building put on socials every weekend.  Sometimes I like to go to them, sometimes I don't.  I was expecting something different, but I like what they actually are better. The socials are very relaxed and not alot of planning goes into attending one.  
  • Burgers - The grill
  • Coach/Team/Field - Softball was a major contributing factor for where I went to school.  I really liked/like the softball here!
  • Kristin - This could be anyone.  It was probably a joke, but I don't remember it.
  • Mrs. Kiernan - This is another joke.  It's a long story but basically it Mrs. Kiernan is one of my friend's growing up's mom and her son goes to Southern Connecticut and he plays baseball and we joked that when SMC played Southern, Mrs Kiernan would ask all of the players if they knew me.  Sorry if that doesn't make sense, my mom and I are pretty weird together...we thought it was funny!
  • Theater Program - This isn't talking about the Theater Major, it is about the Flynn Pass.  The Flynn pass was a large draw and I went to see Mama Mia just last week!!

Okay so that is Part 1 of my explanation, keep on the look-out for part 2!!  

Any questions/comments/funny jokes? Tweet me or formspring me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment